Green Sheep water blog

GREEN SHEEP

You can scroll the shelf using and keys

Pepsi’s 100% Plant-based Bottle

March 16, 2011

So, you may have heard that Pepsi will start using a bottle made of 100% plant-based plastic starting in 2012. If you haven’t, you need to get out of your cave. Really. Anyway, the plant based material, is a big improvement over traditional PET, the plastic that bottles are currently made out of (yes, we are getting a little bit technical here but bear with us, you’ll sound smart in front of your friends when you tell them about this).

The new Pepsi bottles will be petroleum-free and will reduce the company’s carbon footprint. So this is very good news and we applaud Pepsi for spending money in R&D to make a greener product. The new bottles, however, look and feel just like traditional PET, which leads us to conclude that they will be treated the same way by consumers. That is, they will only be recycled (or rather, downcycled) about 20% of the time. The remaining 80% will still end up in landfills and in our oceans.

So, is the Pepsi plant bottle an improvement? Yes, but it doesn’t solve plastic bottles’ biggest problem: what happens to them after you’re done drinking.

Advertisements

What do you think?

Please keep your comments polite and on-topic.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

comments

1 notes

  1. Plastic Free Times | GREEN SHEEP water blog reblogged this and added:

    […] have always been of the opinion that Pepsi’s new plant bottle was simply greenwashing (not that there is much left to opinion […]

%d bloggers like this: